You can’t turn on the television today without seeing an ad for law firms seeking plaintiffs for asbestos lawsuits. Often a “free book” on Mesothelioma is used to attract potential litigants. Business owners are faced with tough decisions: whether to spend money on defending their business in a trial, paying for a settlement, or placing a claim with insurance knowing it may not be covered and/or could cause their insurance rates to rise.
What are the best options for responsible businesses that face frivolous or defensible asbestos lawsuits? If you are targeted in an asbestos lawsuit, here are four things to consider:
- Remember that you have rights. If your defense is provided by your insurance company, you are not necessarily obligated to use insurance-assigned counsel. You may have the right to select a firm that is a better fit for your company.
- Make sure your law firm has experience and successful outcomes specifically dealing with asbestos lawsuits. These cases are complicated and require a high level of expertise to develop a winning defense strategy.
- If insurance does not cover the claims against you or your company, find a law firm that is willing to work with you strategically and creatively to obtain the best possible outcome with the cost of litigation in mind.
- Make sure that the law firm you select has your company’s best interests in mind and takes the time to understand the nuances of your business, case and situation. There is no one-size-fits-all defense strategy in asbestos cases. While a dismissal is ideal, some cases require a jury trial and in some cases settlement is appropriate.
At Deans Stepp Law, we have decades of experience successfully defending asbestos cases, including:
- Multiple jury verdicts in favor of defense
- Multiple dismissals after defeating personal jurisdiction across several states (some with evidentiary hearings and witnesses)
- Negotiating smart, strategic settlements when it makes sense
Please contact us to discuss your case to see if we are the right partner for you.