Trial Tested. Results Driven.
Mary W. Baker
A hardworking native Texan, Mary Baker is an established practitioner in civil litigation, including the areas of energy, property, and business. After graduating law school with honors, Mary was honored to serve four years as a federal briefing attorney in the Western District of Texas, where she honed her sharp legal writing skills analyzing and drafting court orders on both complex civil cases and hundreds of immigration and drug-related criminal trials.
In over a decade of private practice, Mary's pragmatism and insight on courtroom work established her value as a partner for a diverse range of clients from individuals to large, publicly-traded corporations. Mary has handled matters ranging from oilfield car accidents and mineral title analysis to complex land contract negotiations, employment issues, and breach of contract litigation. Prior to joining Deans Stepp Law LLP, Mary was in-house counsel for a Fortune 500 title insurance company, handling first-chair federal and state litigation on easements, trespass to try title, and related claims.
Mary is active in her community, giving back by serving with her church and on numerous nonprofits. She is a Life Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation, nominated because of her dedication to justice and high professional standing among her peers. She was elected a Rising Star in Energy Law by Texas SuperLawyers® from 2018-2021, and was honored to be named a 2018 Woman of Distinction by Girl Scouts of the Desert Southwest. She and her husband, Joe, live in Frisco, Texas, with their two children, Alex and Amelia.
- Texas Tech University School of Law, Lubbock, Texas
- J.D. - 2007
- Honors: cum laude
- Law Review: Texas Tech University Law Review, Symposium Editor
- St. Mary’s University
- B.A. - 2004
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Honors: President’s Award, 2004
- 2016 Midland “Twenty Under 40”
- 2018 Girl Scouts of the Desert Southwest Woman of Distinction
- 2018 Texas Super Lawyers “Rising Star” in Energy Law
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- 2018 United Way of Midland Board President
- Museum of the Southwest Board of Trustees
- Midland Community Theatre Board of Trustees
- St. Ann’s School Board
- Texas Bar Foundation, Member
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel, Member
- Women’s Energy Network, Member
- Junior League of Midland, Sustaining Member